Limerick
2002:1220
48–50 Mary Street, Limerick
Urban medieval
R582557
00E0635 ext.
Part of this site was excavated in 2000 before development (Excavations 2000, No. 594; Collins 2003). The remainder of the site was tested in 2002 to see whether there were archaeological remains in that part and to investigate further an undercroft feature partially exposed during the 2000 excavation.
Six trenches were opened on the site, which revealed the remainder of the first undercroft and the remains of two further limestone cellars. Architectural features recorded included corbels, niches and steps, as well as the remains of a red-brick arched passageway, which may be related to the ‘Dutch Billy’ houses that once stood on Mary Street. It was found that access to the undercrofts, averaging 6m wide and 20m long, could be gained from Mary Street to the west, with the northern and southern undercroft also having rear access. The central undercroft did not have rear access. Evidence of vaulting was found only in the northern undercroft.
A number of architectural fragments were also recovered during testing. Owing to the lack of secure dating evidence, it is difficult to date the structures, but it appears that at least parts may date to the later medieval period. It was agreed with the developers that part of these features will remain exposed as a component of the new structure, with the remainder being reburied and not affected by the building (Collins, forthcoming).

References
Collins, T. 2003 Excavations at Mary Street, Limerick. North Munster Antiquarian Journal 42, 69–88.
Colllins, T. (forthcoming) Stone undercrofts at Mary Street, Limerick. North Munster Antiquarian Journal 43.
Tracy Collins, Aegis Archaeology Ltd, 16 Avondale Court, Corbally, Limerick.





Copyright for the database resides with Wordwell Ltd in association with the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and the Department of the Environment, Northern Ireland, and for the individual reports with the authors.
Site designed by Aisling Flood, Wordwell Ltd. Database software and hosting by HostIreland.

Duchas logoHeritage Council logo