No archaeological significance
Monitoring of the demolition of a shed and wall and the excavation of foundations was carried out in July 2003 as an extension to the original licence (Excavations 2001, No. 1317). The shed appears to have been constructed utilising several lengths of older boundary wall of probable 19th-century date, topped and augmented with concrete and breeze-block work some time in the latter half of the 20th century for use as a garage; the interior was also plastered with concrete. When the walls and concrete slab were removed, including the concrete slab immediately outside the shed, the foundation of the proposed building was excavated to a depth of 0.6m to natural subsoil. The line of a modern cesspit, found during testing in 2001, was found again in the south-eastern corner of the site. In addition, a brick and cobble floor of 18th- or 19th-century date was also found, at a depth of 0.45m. However, the whole of this area beneath the shed was heavily saturated with oil, most probably from the garage once housed in the demolished shed. Nothing of archaeological significance was found during the demolition or groundworks over the rest of the site.
Richard Clutterbuck, Cultural Resource Development Services Ltd, Unit 4, Dundrum Business Park, Dundrum, Dublin 14.
Back to 2003 County Wexford Site List
Back to 2003 County List
Back to Year List
for the database resides with Wordwell Ltd in association with the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and the Department of the Environment, Northern Ireland, and for the
individual reports with the authors.
Site designed by Aisling Flood, Wordwell Ltd. Database software and hosting