Site AR41, Inchirourke
Cremation pits and post-medieval boundaries
An excavation was carried out in July and August 2006 in advance of the construction of the M8/N8 Cullahill to Cashel road improvement scheme. Prior assessment and centreline test-trenching was carried out in 2005 (Excavations 2005, No. 1388, A027/013). Five cremation pits were revealed in excavation, situated on level ground in an area measuring 40m east–west by 30m. The pits were oval in plan with one circular example; profiles varied from U-shaped to concave and measured 0.15–0.62m in length, 0.15–0.45m in width and 0.1–0.45m in depth. The pits contained between one and three fills. A single example and the only definite cremation burial had been excavated into a tree-bole and had vertical sides and a flat base. All five pits contained charcoal, but the remainder may represent ‘blind burials’, as they were similar in morphology.
A post-medieval field boundary system represented by two large enclosure/boundary ditches was also investigated. An English penny dated 1853 was retrieved from the basal fill of one ditch.
Mick Ó Droma, for Valerie J. Keeley Ltd, Brehon House, Kilkenny Road, Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny.
Back to 2006 County Tipperary Site List
Back to 2006 County List
Back to Year List
for the database resides with Wordwell Ltd in association with the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and the Department of the Environment, Northern Ireland, and for the
individual reports with the authors.
Site designed by Aisling Flood, Wordwell Ltd. Database software and hosting