Tipperary
2006:1874
Kedrah
Pits
206226.7 127047.9
-
A035/00, E2125
This site was investigated in advance of the construction of the N24 road linking to the N8 north of Cahir. It was located on the margins of boggy ground and the area of excavation measured 20m by 20m. The site consisted of three roughly oval-shaped pits. They measured from 1.22m to 2.46m long and 0.86m to 0.83m wide and were up to 0.24m deep. They were all filled with similar sterile peaty soil. In the absence of any finds or charcoal from this site, it has not been possible to determine its date. The profile of the pits strongly suggests that they were man-made features and it is likely that they were dug for purposes of water management or land improvement.
Melanie McQuade, Margaret Gowen & Co. Ltd, 27 Merrion Square, Dublin 2.


Back to 2006 County Tipperary Site List

Back to 2006 County List

Back to Year List


Copyright for the database resides with Wordwell Ltd in association with the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and the Department of the Environment, Northern Ireland, and for the individual reports with the authors.
Site designed by Aisling Flood, Wordwell Ltd. Database software and hosting by HostIreland.

Duchas logoHeritage Council logo