Site AR31, Borris, Twomileborris
Prehistoric pits, round house, medieval enclosure, ditches, corn-drying kiln
An excavation commenced in September and continued into 2007 in advance of the M8/N8 Cullahill to Cashel road improvement scheme, the Twomileborris to Turnpike link road. Prior assessment and centreline test-trenching was carried out in 2005 (Excavations 2005, No. 1388, A027/023). The site is located on gently undulating ground adjacent to the Black River, in Twomileborris village, immediately south-west of a deserted medieval settlement and adjacent to a tower-house and ruined church and graveyard. Excavation revealed multi-period settlement, including a number of prehistoric pits, circular houses, medieval ditches and a kiln. The majority of the features excavated were medieval in date. A subrectangular ditch of c. 13th-century date has also been partially excavated. A circular stone corn-drying kiln was also excavated in the north-east angle of the enclosure ditch. Late medieval activity is thought to be related to the medieval borough. The area is also rich in prehistoric activity, with a flat cremation cemetery located 100m to the north and several post-holes and pits 400m west of the site (see Nos 1932–3 below, E2375, E2376).
Mick Ó Droma, for Valerie J. Keeley Ltd, Brehon House, Kilkenny Road, Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny.
Back to 2006 County Tipperary Site List
Back to 2006 County List
Back to Year List
for the database resides with Wordwell Ltd in association with the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and the Department of the Environment, Northern Ireland, and for the
individual reports with the authors.
Site designed by Aisling Flood, Wordwell Ltd. Database software and hosting