Site AR37, Borris, Twomileborris
Burnt mounds, pits and troughs
An excavation was carried out in October 2006 in advance of the construction of the M8/N8 Cullahill to Cashel road improvement scheme. Prior assessment and centreline test-trenching was carried out in 2005 (Excavations 2005, No. 1388, A027/024). The site was previously identified in the EIS as a possible burnt mound and this was confirmed by centreline testing. Site AR37 was located in a field that was previously used for tillage. Excavation revealed 54 potential archaeological features, and almost 30 of these proved to be archaeological.
A truncated burnt mound was situated on the eastern part of the site, measuring 14m by 14.2m and 0.21m in depth. Under the mound were a number of features, including three large troughs. The first was rectangular in shape, measuring 2.8m by 1.55m and 0.46m in depth. The second was sub-oval in shape, measuring 3.28m by 2.4m and 0.52m in depth. The third was circular in shape, measuring 2.75m by 2.7m and 1.26m in depth. All three troughs were orientated north–south.
Archaeological features on the remainder of the site consisted of over twenty pits containing burnt stone and charcoal. One other trough was excavated c. 40m to the west of the burnt mound. It was rectangular in shape, measuring 2.3m by 1.07m and 0.28m in depth.
Gary Conboy, for Valerie J. Keeley Ltd, Brehon House, Kilkenny Road, Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny.
Back to 2006 County Tipperary Site List
Back to 2006 County List
Back to Year List
for the database resides with Wordwell Ltd in association with the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and the Department of the Environment, Northern Ireland, and for the
individual reports with the authors.
Site designed by Aisling Flood, Wordwell Ltd. Database software and hosting