Site AR38, Noard, Twomileborris
Post-medieval ditches and limekiln, undated pits and post-holes
An excavation was undertaken in September 2006 in advance of the construction of the M8/N8 Cullahill to Cashel Road Improvement Road. Prior assessment and centreline test-trenching was carried out in 2005 (Excavations 2005, No. 1388, A027/006). The site was located on level ground c. 750m east of Twomileborris village, adjacent to the existing N75, and consisted of a number of enclosure ditches, furrows, a limekiln and a number of undated pits and post-holes.
Excavation revealed three linear ditches that were thought to form part of an enclosure system. The ditches were between 1.08m and 2.8m in width and 0.2m to 0.76m in depth and contained c. 200 sherds of 18th/19th-century locally produced glazed red earthenware, with a small number of imported wares represented. A stone-built limekiln was inserted into a circular pit, measuring 0.77m in diameter and 0.5m in depth, and truncated the largest enclosure ditch. This site was interpreted as post-medieval agricultural activity.
Mick Ó Droma, for Valerie J. Keeley Ltd, Brehon House, Kilkenny Road, Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny.
Back to 2006 County Tipperary Site List
Back to 2006 County List
Back to Year List
for the database resides with Wordwell Ltd in association with the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and the Department of the Environment, Northern Ireland, and for the
individual reports with the authors.
Site designed by Aisling Flood, Wordwell Ltd. Database software and hosting