Archaeological excavation in advance of the N7 Nenagh to Limerick high-quality dual carriageway road project was carried out here in December 2006 revealing a small burnt mound which was first discovered during monitoring of topsoil-stripping.
The site was located 60m to the north of E2329 (see No. 1148 below). The mound measured 3m east–west by 5m. It had no pits or troughs below it; however, one rectilinear pit, 2.74m north–south by 0.8m and 0.22m in depth, was located directly to the east. This was unlined and filled with a heat-shattered stone and charcoal-rich deposit. No artefacts were found.
Editor’s note: Although excavated during 2006, the report on this site arrived too late for inclusion in the bulletin of that year.
Áine Richardson, Headland Archaeology Ltd, Unit 1, Wallingstown Business Park, Little Island, Cork.
Back to 2007 County Limerick Site List
Back to 2007 County List
Back to Year List
for the database resides with Wordwell Ltd in association with the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and the Department of the Environment, Northern Ireland, and for the
individual reports with the authors.
Site designed by Aisling Flood, Wordwell Ltd. Database software and hosting