Clare
2008:138
Scattery Island
Monastic, medieval
0974 1525
CL067024
01E0662
The construction of new sewerage arrangements for visitor facilities on Scattery Island was monitored in 2008, and the pit for the new septic tank was cut as an archaeological excavation, on behalf of the OPW. Results and observations suggest the ground was reclaimed from a large lagoon in the later medieval period, by dumping midden and stone. A solid platform under the accumulation is probably part of a jetty, and linear marks in the intertidal silt are probably keel marks from boats. No building remains were found in the reclamation material, and linear irregularities are attributed to the continued beaching of boats on the rising midden and rough surfacing.
The lagoon had formed behind a shingle spit. Dirty clay with scorching on the shingle, found at the base of a drain cut, appears to be the floor of a building pre-dating the standing 19th-century cottage.
Dave Pollock, Knockrower Road, Stradbally, Co. Waterford.


Back to 2008 County Clare Site List

Back to 2008 County List

Back to Year List


Copyright for the database resides with Wordwell Ltd in association with the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and the Department of the Environment, Northern Ireland, and for the individual reports with the authors.
Site designed by Aisling Flood, Wordwell Ltd. Database software and hosting by HostIreland.

Duchas logoHeritage Council logo